It all began when with a small house group led by Tani and Modupe Omideyi in 1980. God’s word to them was from the Book of Haggai Chapter 2 and it continues to inspire us today!
The church grew, relocating a number of times before finally arriving in Anfield in 1991. The church family worked together to renovate a disused church building. Throughout this time our church choir Love and Joy was an integral part of our ministry. In 1995 we decided to formally register the church using the name Love & Joy Ministries as an umbrella charitable trust to cover all its ministries. The church’s transformational vision began to develop from then and in 1998 we purchased an unused cinema transforming it to what is now Liverpool Lighthouse. Temple of Praise moved into the newly refurbished Liverpool Lighthouse building in April 2004. It continues to be the heart of a dynamic ministry which is growing not just locally but nationally and internationally too.
If we think of beliefs as the foundation of a house, then values are the bricks in that building. We have a single, simple purpose which is to develop all members in their intimacy with God in a loving church family, equipping them to contribute to transforming communities around the world. Our values are
- showing loving kindness to each other
- Giving to God and to each other
- cultivating a character of humility, integrity and resilience
- working together as a team because we achieve more
- The one true God who lives eternally in three persons—the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- The love, grace and sovereignty of God in creating, sustaining, ruling, redeeming and judging the world.
- The divine inspiration and supreme authority of the Old and New Testament Scriptures, which are the written Word of God—fully trustworthy for faith and conduct.
- The dignity of all people, made male and female in God’s image to love, be holy and care for creation, yet corrupted by sin, which incurs divine wrath and judgement.
- The incarnation of God’s eternal Son, the Lord Jesus Christ—born of the virgin Mary; truly divine and truly human, yet without sin.
- The atoning sacrifice of Christ on the cross: dying in our place, paying the price of sin and defeating evil, so reconciling us with God.
- The bodily resurrection of Christ, the first fruits of our resurrection; his ascension to the Father, and his reign and mediation as the only Saviour of the world.
- The justification of sinners solely by the grace of God through faith in Christ.
- The ministry of God the Holy Spirit, who leads us to repentance, unites us with Christ through new birth, empowers our discipleship and enables our witness.
- The Church, the body of Christ both local and universal, the priesthood of all believers—given life by the Spirit and endowed with the Spirit’s gifts to worship God and proclaim the gospel, promoting justice and love.
- The personal and visible return of Jesus Christ to fulfil the purposes of God, who will raise all people to judgement, bring eternal life to the redeemed and eternal condemnation to the lost, and establish a new heaven and new earth.
Temple of Praise is a member of the Evangelical Alliance